61 Unirii Boulevard, Bl. F3, Entrance 4, 2nd floor, Apt. 208, Bucharest
Are you a citizen of a state outside of the European Union and the European Economic Area and want to have professional activities in Romania? To begin with, you need to check whether the profession you want to pursue is governed by the special laws governing the exercise of the profession in question by foreign nationals.
The next step is to obtain a long-stay visa for professional activities, from the diplomatic missions and consular offices of Romania.
Once you have entered the country based on the long-term visa, you will need to register with the immigration authorities in the area where you will reside. This is done no later than 30 days before the expiry of the initial visa and, upon registration, one receives a resident permit for Romania. Our team can give you complete details about the required documents.
If you wish to obtain a long-stay visa for professional activities, you must submit the following documents:
- proof of the fulfillment of the legal conditions for exercising the respective profession;
- proof that in your home country you are practicing a profession similar to what you intend to do in Romania;
- proof of medical insurance during the period of validity of the visa;
- a criminal record certificate or other document with the same legal value.
The visa fee is 120 Euros and is paid in the state where you apply.
As an internal procedure, the long-stay visa is approved by the National Visa Center only after obtaining the opinion of the General Inspectorate for Immigration. The notice shall be issued no later than 30 days after the receipt of the request, with the possibility of extending the deadline by 15 days.
The long-stay visa is granted for a period of 90 days with one or more trips.
After you have entered Romania, you must obtain a residence permit. It certifies your right to stay in Romania and you can obtain it from the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration in the county where you live. To obtain a residence permit, you will personally submit a set of documents at least 30 days before the expiry of the visa right. You can also submit documents through the online application available at https://portaligi.mai.gov.ro/portaligi/
To extend the right of residence (obtaining a residence permit) for professional activities, you must submit the following documents:
- Border Crossing Document (passport, travel title, etc.) original and copy;
- evidence that he / she actually carries out his / her professional activity under the conditions provided by the special law;
- Provide proof of means of maintenance at least at the average gross monthly earnings for the period for which the right of residence is extended;
- proof of legal possession of the living space (original and copy);
- proof of health insurance;
- medical certificate;
The residence permit shall be renewed at least 30 days before the expiry date of the previous one.
An application to grant or extend the right of residence will be settled within 30 days from the date of its submission. In cases where additional verification is required, the deadline for resolving the request may be extended by up to 15 days.
Professionals who have been living in the country for at least eight years, during which they have lawfully engaged in tehri activities and have observed the conditions for visa renewal, can apply for citizenship in Romania. This is also possible after at least five years from the marriage date to a Romanian national. Other rules for sufficient income and good Romanian language knowledge apply.