61 Unirii Boulevard, Bl. F3, Entrance 4, 2nd floor, Apt. 208, Bucharest

Long Term Visa For Unpaid Professional Training In Romania

If you are a citizen of a country outside the European Union and European Economic Area and want to stay in Romania for the purpose of unpaid professional training within an accredited training provider or in an enterprise in the public or private sector, authorized by law to carry out such activities, you must have concluded a professional training contract and to own the accomodation means amounting to at least the monthly gross average salary per economy for the entire period specified in the visa.

You can get a long-term visa in order to obtain unpaid professional training from the diplomatic missions and consular offices.

Once a foreign national has entered the country based on a long-term visa (irrespective of its type), he or she is asked to register with the local immigration authorities no later than 30 days before the visa expiry date. This will grant the applicant a resident permit for Romania, which will stipulate the reason for the extended stay in the country. Our lawyers can give you more details. 

If you wish to obtain the long stay visa for being able to receive unpaid professional training, you must submit the following documents:

• documents proving your situation;

• proof of medical insurance for the period of the visa’s validity;

• proof of accommodation;

• the criminal record certificate or other document with the same legal value issued by the authorities of the country of origin.

The visa fee is 120 Euro and it can be paid in the state where you made the request.

The long-term visa receives approval from the National Visa Center only after obtaining the approval of the General Inspectorate for Immigration. The approval of the General Inspectorate for Immigration is issued within 30 days of receiving the request, with the possibility to extend the deadline by 15 days.

The long stay visa for unpaid professional training in Romania is granted for a period of 90 days, with one or more trips.

After entering Romania, you must obtain a residence permit. This permit certifies your right to stay in Romania and you can obtain it from the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration in the county where you live.

In order to obtain a residence permit, you must personally submit the following documents, at least 30 days before the expiry of the visa granted the right to stay:

• request;

• border crossing document;

• the Constitutive Act of the vocational training institution;

• the training agreement for unpaid participation in some form of training within a company in the public or private sector or within an accredited training provider;

• proof of financial means to the average gross wage per economy;

• proof of legal ownership of the living space;

• social proof of health;

• medical certificate;

• taxes.

You also have the possibility to submit the documents mentioned above through an online application, which is available on the official website of the General Inspectorate for Immigration.

In regards to the request for the extension of the right of residence, this shall be resolved within 30 days from the date of its submission. In cases where further checks are required, the deadline for resolving the application may be extended by 15 days.

The right of temporary residence for the purpose of an unpaid professional training shall be extended for successive periods of up to one year, while for stateless persons of Romanian origin this can be extended for periods of four years.

In exceptional cases, foreignerss coming to Romania for unpaid professional training can have their right to stay extended once for a period of six months in order to acquire a qualification in the profession for which they prepared.

If you have questions about other legal matters, or are in need of legal representation in case of dispute resolution, our Romanian lawyers can assist you.

For further information on how to obtain the residence permit for unpaid professional training by a person belonging to a country outside of the European Union or the European Economic Area in Romania, don’t hesitate to contact one of the lawyers of our team within the law firm Darie, Manea & associates that hold extensive experience in this field, providing full legal service, namely legal advice and representation before competent authorities.