61 Unirii Boulevard, Bl. F3, Entrance 4, 2nd floor, Apt. 208, Bucharest

Rights of Residence in Romania

Regardless of why you want to come to Romania and the period you intend to spend here, you should know that legalizing your stay is the first step towards accessing other rights and opportunities.

Romanian law differentiates between citizens from countries that are members of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), together with their family members, and citizens from third countries.


The law regulating the regime of foreigners in Romania, OUG 194/2002 is accessible in Romanian and English on the ORI website www.ori.mai.gov.ro.


General conditions related to entry into the territory of Romania

In order to enter Romania you need:

• passport or other border crossing document accepted by the Romanian state

• visa, residence permit or resident card (if applicable)

• guarantees: documents attesting the material means of maintenance (money, vouchers, etc.) or the transport ticket attesting the transit or leaving the country at the end of the validity of the visa (if applicable)


You may be refused entry to the territory of Romania when:

• you have an entry ban on the territory of Romania or you have been declared undesirable (previously)

• you are considered to be a danger to national security, law, morals or public health


After entering Romania you have the following obligations:

• Announcing the stay at a Police Station or at the ORI territorial office in the locality where you are within 3 days from the date of entry

• Announcing to the RIO of the changes of the personal situation (change of citizenship, marriage, divorce, death of a family member, birth of a child, etc.), changes related to work and address, or the loss / change of the state border crossing document or the residence permit.


Types of documents issued to foreigners

Visas for entry and stay in Romania

Most people from third countries need a visa in order to enter the territory of Romania, but there are exceptions for the citizens of certain countries who have signed agreements in this regard with Romania.


Before coming to Romania, check if you need an entry / stay visa http://www.mae.ro/poze_editare/2009.06.10_Anexa1_en.pdf

     You do not need a visa if

   - You have a residence permit in the EU / EEA as a family member of an EU / EEA citizen

   - you have a permanent residence permit in an EU / EEA state

   - you have a valid Schengen visa, in which case you can transit Romania for a maximum of 5 days.

The visa can be obtained from any Embassy or Consulate of Romania from abroad and, only in exceptional cases, from the Border Police. This allows you to enter Romania only if there are no other well-founded reasons, such as those stated above, for which you can receive a negative answer when entering the country.

The validity of the passport in which the visa is applied must be at least 3 months longer than the validity of the visa.

The visa application must be accompanied by documents that justify the purpose and conditions of the trip, the proof of the means of maintenance during the stay, the proof of medical insurance, taxes, etc. As a rule, you need an invitation from a natural or legal person from Romania, and in some cases the invitation must be endorsed by the RIO. List of states whose citizens need such an invitation:


The refusal to grant the visa is made if you do not meet the requirements for granting the visa, you have previously exceeded the period of stay under another visa, there are reasons to consider that the visa is applied for the purpose of illegal immigration, etc.

The cancellation / revocation of the visa is made if it is shown that the documents based on which you applied for the visa were false, if you violated the customs regulations or those of the state border, if you were declared undesirable or if you did not respect the stated purpose of stay.